Thursday, October 29, 2015

China Score at Last!

Yeah, I know, it's been awhile. But truthfully, it's been awhile since I found much on the shelves to write about! But today, despite fighting a horrible cold I had to make a run to my usual treasure hunting grounds to make a return before it was too late and I lost my store credit. So, off I went, and my efforts were rewarded with my first china loot in ages!

It is well documented that china is my main weakness and fortunately (or regrettably, depending on whom you ask!) I have plenty of space to store it in my home so there is little deterrent to my stockpiling. I have, however, narrowed my collecting focus in recent years to a few patterns and makers, or else I would be bringing home every pretty plate in a five state radius and let's just say that might affect marital harmony around these parts.

So, anyway, today I brought in my returns and received a nice store credit that had to be used today or else I would lose it. I immediately got to work perusing the aisles as I had limited time...and almost instantly spotted these stoneware cups and saucers.


I have amassed a decent collection of this pattern, informally called Daisy and Dot, which was made by Mar-Crest in the 1950s and early 1960s. My mother had several of these pieces, and I'm sure that is why I love them so much.

If you look carefully at the photo above, you will notice that the cups vary. I was curious as to why, so I googled it, and found a very interesting website devoted to this pattern. If you are interested in learning more about this very popular pattern, I highly recommend you visit http://www.mar-crest.com. Oh, and the answer to the mystery of the different cup handles is that they made them in one-finger, two-finger, and three-finger styles!


Nearby on the same shelf, I found this collection of ivory dish ware. My good friend collects this pattern, so I snatched them up.


I'd never seen the cups and saucers before, but I do find the bowls and plates fairly frequently. It is a nice vintage pattern that doesn't look too precious today, very versatile. These cups and saucers need a good cleaning, but they were in good condition.


I also collect Blue Ridge Pottery, and anyone who knows anything about Blue Ridge Pottery knows that there are seemingly endless patterns, so that can get dangerous. Some are very showy, with lots of flourishes and just a lot going on in general, and some are very simple. All (that I've seen) are hand painted using beautiful colors on a very smooth ivory background. I favor the very simple ones, but once in awhile I make an exception and pick up other patterns if the price is right. Today, I picked up a lot of seven Blue Ridge pieces just to get one piece. The ironic thing is that the one piece I really wanted wasn't even Blue Ridge!


This gravy pitcher is not Blue Ridge Pottery, although it is often mistakenly labeled as such due to its similarity. It is actually Dixie Dogwood by Joni China. I have hundreds of pieces of Dixie Dogwood, but I did not have a gravy boat, so I am so happy to have found this in such great condition.


Dixie Dogwood is one of my absolute favorite patterns ever! Again, my mother had a few pieces of this and collecting it and displaying it brings back wonderful memories and just makes me feel happy.

Here are the pieces of actual Blue Ridge Pottery that I picked up in order to get the gravy pitcher.


The pattern name is "Fruit Punch." It is a little more showy than I usually care for, but the colors are gorgeous in person. Photos never do it justice!

And then, finally, I found this complete set of the amazing Anne of Green Gables series for my daughter. She enjoyed the first book but has yet to read any of the sequels. These books meant so much to me as a young girl that I can't imagine my daughters not reading them, too. In fact, I may re-read them all before I pass this set along...I'm sure I'd fall in love with Gilbert Blythe all over again!


Perhaps I will curl up in bed tonight with a cup of tea and Gilbert Blythe, not a bad way to nurse my cold, ha!

2 comments: