Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Crazy Eights...or just plain crazy?

Things have been a little slow on the thrift front this week. I'm all tied up working on a big project for my daughter's school. But never fear, I have some big plans for later this month that I am sure will not disappoint. In the meantime, I will share with you my meager finds from last week.

One of my sisters was here for a little surprise visit last week, and I took the opportunity to introduce her to my blog. She must have been inspired, because she happily agreed to go thrifting with me on Friday. Unfortunately, our schedule only permitted one stop, and we didn't exactly clean up.

I found a couple of things for my girls that while useful, are not too exciting, so I didn't photograph them. I did find a brand new child's weaving loom with all its accessories, which I did find exciting, but still didn't photograph. I did document this find from the 25 cent bin:


I picked it up because I thought it was dollhouse furniture, and well, you might as well know that of course, I collect that, too. It turned out to be a vintage AVON bottle. The cute little blue pitcher on the washstand is the bottle top. For a quarter, I thought it would be cute in the dollhouse even if it is not worth anything, so I picked it up. Back at home, my super sleuthing self discovered that it originally held Charisma foaming bath oil and dates to 1973. Definitely worth more than a quarter, but not so much more that I won't let my kids play with it.

In other news, I was picking up the other day and found this on the bureau in my bedroom.


I thought I was losing my mind, I had no idea where it had come from. I was genuinely panicked for a moment, thinking that this thrifting disease of mine must surely have gotten out of control if I could no longer remember--not even recognize!--what I had seemingly just purchased. That is one step away from being featured on HOARDERS. Thankfully, a quick text to my husband confirmed what I was hoping against hope was true...that somehow he was responsible for bringing that into my house. He apparently picked it up while visiting his parents recently. Once reassured that I was not headed to the funny farm (just yet), I was disappointed to see that this set of card games is not, in fact, vintage, but a reproduction. But if anyone finds the original version, please let me know! I love me some Crazy Eights and Old Maid.

No comments:

Post a Comment