Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Party Finds

I dashed out for a quick thrift run today and accidentally spent three hours in one store. Oops. I wish I could say that hardly ever happens. But the truth is, I get especially hung up on the books and today there were lots of wonderful children's books and it takes time to comb through the racks. I found some real gems, which I will share with you in a later post.

What I will share now are the fantastic props and supplies I found that I will use for some upcoming family birthday parties. I found this General Store sign, which I couldn't resist even though I already have a homemade version. This one I will probably age a little bit to make it look older, but it is much cooler than mine. It will be used in my younger daughter's pioneer party someday.


When I was purchasing this piece, the young cashier asked me if I was buying it because I owned a general store. No, I said, half wondering if he were for real. He looked up at me equally puzzled until I offered up that it was for a party. "Oh," he nodded, "a speak-easy party, like in The Great Gatsby." Uh, no, I laughed, telling him it was for a Laura Ingalls inspired pioneer birthday party. He wisely ceased the small talk after that. In retrospect, I guess I should be flattered that he thought I'm so cool as to be having a speak-easy party!

Anyway, our second pioneer party is at least a year off, and for now I am working diligently on plans for my daughter's woodland fairy party, which will be held next month. I found this autumnal floral ball to hang from a tree branch.


I also found two green apple plates, which I will use with a little cup to serve sliced apples and caramel dip at the party. Maybe one plate will hold red apples and the other green?


One of the activities I have planned for the fairy party is having the kids make fairy gardens that they can take home. I have begun collecting little natural objects like seed pods, twigs, and acorns so they will have a large supply of materials to choose from when constructing their gardens. It is amazing what kinds of structures can be made from such simple materials and a little string and glue. I love seeing what a child's imagination can come up with and for the most part, I discourage adult interference. But I lost my breath when I saw this beautiful tower that will be perfect in our more permanent fairy garden. It is made from wood so technically it is all natural and won't offend the fairies. And it will provide much needed sturdiness--so much of what we create in our fairy gardens just can't fight off the elements but this little structure should be able to withstand a New England winter.


And then there is this pirate flag. I am sure that in the next couple of years, we will be having another Pirate Party, probably for my little boy. This flag definitely out-classes the plastic Oriental Trading number that I had flying from our playhouse for our first pirate party. And only 99 cents!


Last week, I organized my party supply closet so I am off now to slip these things into their proper storage spots. Love that I am finally getting my party supplies organized--it's a wonderful feeling! Linking my finds up to Sir Thrift a Lot, who is celebrating his one year anniversary this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment