Friday, February 15, 2013

All Wrapped Up: Vintage Gifts and Wrapping Paper

I usually don't venture out on a thrift mission with any particular goal in mind, but of course I have an imaginary wish list that lives in my head. What is on my list changes as my taste evolves and new needs arise, but there are a few things that will always put a smile on my face when I spot them out in Secondhandland.

The thrift gods were extraordinarily kind to me today as I scored several things that rank high on my perennial thrift wish list. There was so much goodness that I will have to break the finds into two (or more!) posts. Tonight, I'll highlight the stash of vintage wrapping paper I found, as well as a small present for a friend which will of course be presented in some of that paper.

I have a friend who loves vintage linens and handcrafts as much as I do, and when I spotted this precious little piece, I knew it must be hers. Not only will she appreciate the sweetness of the needlework, but if ever there was a little home filled with love, it is hers.


At first I thought I'd have to wash the piece and change out the frame, but when I brought it home and examined it closely, I don't want to change a thing. I'm afraid washing would remove the beautiful patina of age, and although the frame has some slight damage along the bottom, I feel that placing this piece in a brand new frame would cheapen it. At some point, maybe we'll find a perfect old frame worthy of this darling piece of needlework, but until that day, I think she'll like it just as is. And don't worry, I plan to scrub off the remnants of the price tag before I wrap it with vintage love!

Now, the only question is what vintage paper to use? I ran across a couple of bags of old paper at a thrift today and scooped them up immediately. Most of it appears to be from the 1980's, which doesn't excite me too much, but there were some super cute goodies tucked in the bags. Still, I like having scraps for the kids to create with, so none of it will go to waste.



No comments:

Post a Comment