Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cross one off the Thrift Wish List!

I am always excited when I find something at a thrift shop or sale that I've been hoping to find for years. Yes, I know, I can pretty much find whatever I want on ebay or etsy, but that's no fun! I much prefer to hunt things down.

At my church's rummage sale this past weekend, there was one large room full of books and it was there that I found it.


Read Aloud Funny Stories. Such a simple name for such a wonderful collection of stories. One of my absolute favorite stories ever is in this book, "The Magic Geranium." It's a story about how the humble gift of a geranium plant transforms the life of its recipient. Many times, as an adult, I have thought of this delightful story and the others in this book and wished I could share it with my children. And now I can!

At the same sale, I also found several vintage cooking booklets. I love this one, dated 1938:


And this one, all about pie! Or more specifically, "party pies." I just bought a couple of sugar pumpkins so I'm hoping this booklet has a good pumpkin pie recipe in it.


I also found these vintage Hallmark valentines. They are in great shape and feature "knock-knock" jokes. My kids will love them.


I am such a sucker for vintage invitations! These were cute.


And my kids love the fold-over notes that were so popular when I was a kid.


I picked up a few more treasures at the same sale, so I'll be sure to post the rest of my finds soon. Very excited that the fall rummage sale season has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment